It is located in the Parish of São Lourenço of Ribapinhão, Council of Sabrosa, District of Vila Real.

The first exploitations registered date back to 1883, with a concession to the mine of Delgada. It is the second grant of tungsten mining found in Portugal. The Germans will extend these mines to other areas, with the beginning of World War II, these mines were known as the Mines of Vale das Gatas. The mining complex employed about 2000 workers (Favas, 1999).

Electrical energy was supplied by a central station equipped with its own transformation unit. It had administrative offices, warehouses, workshops and garages. To support the staff, there were medical services, canteen, housing neighbourhood and a recreation centre (Favas, 1999).

"The main mine is 900 meters ... Mining Company of Sabrosa.... over there, there were the  rugs where women made the selection... then it went to the separator...some people made a lot of money... in the time of Germans... the offices of annotators, the stores were up here... there were two separators in Vila Real, one of the English in the upper part and one of the Germans... there is nothing from the English one ... the building from the other separator still remains ... all the mines closed in 1944 and reopened in 1952/1954 with the Korean War..."  [1st Interview s / Couto Mineiro der Vale das Gatas. Sabrosa, Dr. F.F. M. Eng, June 1, 1997] (Lage, 2000: 179)

Category: Industrial Heritage

It is located in the Parish of Salto, Council of Montalegre, District of Vila Real.

The first known license for the exploitation of the mine dates back to 1902 and was granted to the "Compagnie des mines d'Etain et de wolfram", it covered Monte da Borralha No. 1 and No. 2. On the 13th of February 1926, Couto Mineiro da Borralha is formed, by Ministerial order, with a much broader area, encompassing now a total of 36 grants (Geology).

According to Nunes, 2010:372, several nationalities commanded the destinies of Borralha. The capitals were predominantly French, but spread over several companies, some were British and other were German. Borralha Mines, SA had a clear connection with the UK and with the Compagnie Francaise des Mines, SA, while the Société Minère Général d’Étaint, SA had a strong connection with Germany (Nunes, 2010).

The French invested a lot in Borralha, bringing knowledge and machinery. They also invested in education.  Borralha was one of the few Coutos Mineiros, where all people studied until the 5th year and many sons of goatherds came to be engineers and economists (Lage, 2000).

The vast majority of those who were born here, were miners, or someway worked for the complex. For generations people have organized their lives, having as central object the tungsten (Lage, 2000).

"The French were a school for us ... they brought the modern era ... and for us it was Paris-Borralha, Borralha-Paris, rather than Lisbon ... at that time learning a trade was a great school ... and the French were good and had knowledge ... they taught us the technologies ... the mining concession;, in my opinion they have a defect that I think they had  everywhere ... they exploited the most in the minimum time span, they didn’t  create any infrastructures or definitely improved the place ...nothing was to be permanent... here in Borralha only the school and the Casting building made of stone ... the Professional School still works ... it was the great miracle of our region ... everyone  has completed the 5th year ... there were a lot of engineers sons of goatherds, etc ... the French gave us all this ... there, one can note the difference in mentalities ... "[Interview MC - Braga, Dezembro 1998] (Lage, 2000: 148).

 

Category: Industrial Heritage

They are located in Peneda-Geres National Park, Council of Terras de Bouro, District of Braga. The access is though a footpath, and the starting point is located close to Portela do Homem.

The Mining Company of Sabrosa was the Concessionaire of the Mines of Carris (Lage, 2000).

According to the documents filed in the Regional Direction for Northern Economy -Direcção Regional de Economia do Norte, this mine was a producer of tungsten, but it was a bit different from other mines, since it started its operations only in 1943, having labored for 15 years in non-continuous periods. Thus, it worked from 1943 to 1944, from 1950 to 1958, from 1971 to 1975, its last laboring dates from 1979 (Moura, 2010).

The engineer Ramiro Sobral, owner of Quinta dos Canais in the Douro, Council of Carrazeda de Ansiães was the technical director, until the 80s.

The hike to the mines of Carris, according to Moura 2010:99, is one of the most beautiful in the country.

"The mine of Carris was a drop in the ocean compared to Borralha ... there was a light there ... it was little known ... it was near the border ... in  Carris ( rails) ... it always had a connection to snob boys from Braga ... a working front in Borralha was worth more than 10 in Carris... the connection with Dithmer was always through Porto ... and those businesses were not clear. "[Interview MC - Braga, December 1998] (Lage, 2000) Volume II: pp70

 

Category: Industrial Heritage

It is located in the Parish of Argozelo, Council of Vimioso, District of Bragança.

Argozelo mines had their first license in 1898. This mine, in terms of production, has never been a large mine; but it left its marks in the population in a relevant way. All the patrimony related to the mines and to the being of the Men must not be forgotten. Abandoned since 1986, its reconstruction intend to give back to the community a patrimony associated with a local memory (JFA, 2011).

The mines of Argozelo consisted of vertical wells. An elevator, which still can be detected, took the miners down, and then they went to the galleries in search of the lode. The dynamite was daily used, but the village was already accustomed to it, since it was always at the same time, and the shocks were not considered excessive (JFA, 2011).

Nowadays the lands of the mine belong to Minargol, a company that went bankrupt, and now there is a judicial liquidator, which has hindered the intervention of the local authority – Municipality -  in this space.

"Women's work was to load trucks with sand and make sticks... (small cartridges of sand to load the walls of the mine, with primers) they did this together with the children to prepare the explosives for the mines ..." [1st Interview in Argozelo. Cipriano and the foreman JLMartins, "Zé Pedreiro" nickname. Mines of Argozelo and Mines of Ribeira, in April and October 1998] (Lage, 2000: 197).

 

Category: Industrial Heritage

Page 2 of 4